Welcome back to Running4Rights week ! As we mentioned, the right to health is an inclusive right, this means that there are several factors that contribute to leading healthy lives. Health facilities, goods and services must be:
- accessible i.e.
- within physical reach
- available in sufficient quantity for the population to avail of it;
- acceptable and respect medical ethics, be gender-sensitive and culturally-appropriate;
- of good quality, therefore scientifically- and medically-appropriate, and in good working condition;
- participatory by giving health care beneficiaries the opportunity to weigh in on the designing and implementing of health policies which affect them;
- accountable, whereby providers/ States should be held accountable for meeting human rights obligations for public health and people should have the possibility of seeking appeals and remedies for violations eg. the denial of health services;
- free to chose: People must have freedom from non-consensual medical treatments, such as medical experiments or forced sterilization; torture; and other cruel, inhuman or degrading treatment or punishment.
- entitled: People are entitled to the opportunity to enjoy the highest attainable level of health.
Don’t forget that you can run/walk/cycle/swim at your own pace for Running4Rights, wherever, whenever you want between the 1st and 8th May 2022. Please do sign up here.
Check in over the next few days for more information on human rights, health and physical activity! In meantime check out the following related Running4Rights posts: